I’ve been a bit too busy to blog lately….though when I look back on what I’ve done it certainly seems like I had more time available.
But I have a couple posts in the works so here is the first.
A few weeks ago I finally got the Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 Team System (VSTS) DVDs I ordered in April. The first thing I did was install VS 2005 on my laptop but after thinking about it a little bit; I decided to give the Team Foundation Server (TFS) a try. So I installed Virtual PC 2004 on my desktop, then set up Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition on it and did all the updates. Twelve hours later I have Win2K3 up-to-date, with the server side portion of TFS completely installed.
Click more to read the rest of my post….
After that is done I installed the client side and attempted to connect to the TFS. Connection failed….I was able to ping the host, and could see the web site it exposed. Finally at around 4 or 5 in the morning I give up and go to bed.
A week later, I can’t keep my eyes off the system I used to use as a server; it had been shut off for close to 9 months but I figure even with the crappy specs of the system it’ll be enough.
So I begin the process of installing Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition with TFS…again. The entire install seemed to take the same amount of time on the real system as it did on the Virtual PC install. Try connecting to the server from my laptop again, and it errors; but this time I notice something that I didn’t see the first time. Not only does the TFS Service account need to made a namespace administrator but so does the account used to add the TFS server to the client (ie the VSTS\James account).
One quick command on the server later I’ve added the TFS server to my client install and can begin creating my first Team Project. VSTS to add a new Team Project and fill in the details to the wizard; once it begins processing though I find it takes *forever* for it to actually do anything; but the entire time I can hear the hard drive whirring on the server.
“This can’t be good” and it wasn’t, it errored with a time out; I try again and again; each time it errors with a time out. Finally after the 4th or 5th try it succeeds! Hurrah!
Staring at the empty project I see there are several things already added to the work items list, all dealing with creating the documentation that will drive the project forward. As a lone developer that flies by ideas pulled out of my
ass head, I am obviously not the target audience for VSTS but I try to indulge anyway. Unfortunately my mind doesn’t cooperate with me and I draw blanks on everything I should be doing. But after installing some software updates I have to reboot my laptop; upon logging back in I went to log back in to VSTS only to find it time out yet again while trying to load the project.
Moral of this whole story:
A Pentium II, 400MHz with 512MB of RAM and standard IDE HD interface is not enough to run TFS. The documentation says so — if I remember correctly the recommend a 2.4GHz proc with 1GB if not 2GB of RAM….They don’t say what speed IDE interface is needed, just 20GB of space; but my old ATA33 interface wasn’t fast enough for my tastes in just the “dos” portion of the Win2K3 server install.
I’ve pretty much settled it for myself now; sometime this summer I will build a new PC to replace my desktop and turn my desktop into my server. I just need to come up with the $700 or so it’ll take to do it.