//
you're reading...
General, WP Plugins

Akismet problem solved!

It appears that the problem with Akismet was due to a problem with WordPress when operating on Windows boxes. I can only assume that the reason this bug snuck through is that my configuration is an odd one. I have to run IIS for the .NET aspect, but run a PHP blogging app.

I have the problem solved and e-mailed to Matt; but I’d like to wait for his confirmation before I post it here since I had to edit a core file to WordPress.

Earlier tonight I got an e-mail from him asking me to try a newer version of Akismet, unfortunately the newer version didn’t help me because my problem was occuring before where that fix took place.

For the record, Akismet has blocked over 177 spam comments since I installed it on October 27th.

Update: Nov. 6th, 2005 @ 12:10am

I see I’m not the first to have seen this problem and found the fix for it now. This bug was added to the bug tracker for WordPress back in August.

Update: Nov. 30th, 2005 @ 5:20pm

I’ve left a comment at the bottom here which details what needs to be one to get Akismet working again.

Advertisements

About James

I am a Senior Developer/Consultant for InfoPlanIT, LLC. I previously spent over 7 years as a Product Manager for what eventually became ComponentOne, a division of GrapeCity. While there, I helped to create ActiveReports 7, GrapeCity ActiveAnalysis, and Data Dynamics Reports.

Discussion

6 thoughts on “Akismet problem solved!

  1. Does the fix I just checked in work for you?

    Posted by Matt | November 9, 2005, 4:57 pm
  2. Yes, the fix worked. (Also a test comment to see whether I get an e-mail notification)

    Posted by james | November 15, 2005, 4:22 am
  3. Testing another comment….

    *crosses fingers*

    Edit: Success!

    Posted by james | November 15, 2005, 5:05 am
  4. Unfortunately I still haven’t got the login id from WP which is required to get the Akismet activation key 😦

    Posted by Nish | November 15, 2005, 8:27 pm
  5. Oo, oo, oo, what’s the fix? I just downloaded the latest (1.12) and it’s still busted. I tried the fix from http://wordpress.org/support/topic/50355 but it gives me different errors.

    Inquiring minds want to know …

    Posted by Toby Simmons | November 30, 2005, 4:15 pm
  6. The bug was fixed in this link:
    http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1599

    The official fix goes about it in a slightly different way; altering plugin_basename instead of admin.php but the effect is the same.

    Essentially the value returned by plugin_basename needs to have stripslashes run over it, whether you do that in admin.php where it’s used or in plugin_basename so every use is updated is up to you. The changeset doesn’t correspond to what is available in WP1.5.2 so you’ll have to search for where plugin_basename is declared.

    Posted by james | November 30, 2005, 6:19 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Archive

%d bloggers like this: