I’ve had Vista installed on my desktop for a while; but the bad quality of the beta video drivers I had meant it was very unlikely that i would be logged into it instead of XP on my PC. Now that nVidia has released much better drivers I’ve started using it more and more.
I’m still in a testing phase with it, but I have installed WoW + Burning Crusade and it seems to be running well….however setting the video mode caused the screen to flicker much more than usual. This caused some graphical anomalies (the images in the UI were switched all over the place), but they were fixed once I restarted the game and haven’t returned since.
I haven’t done much with Visual Studio yet, but after the first time I booted it up in weeks I caught it downloading and installing VS2005 SP1 for me. I did install the latest build of Data Dynamics Reports on it, and was somewhat surprised to see the toolbars take on part of the Vista look and feel. Scott had mentioned this to me before, but I didn’t have a chance to try it out because I never booted into Vista because of the driver problems.
I recently read a report where Apple was saying that users of iTunes should wait to upgrade to Vista. While I have no problem running iTunes, connecting my iPod up to it resulted in so many sync failures that I’ve given up syncing while in Vista. Apple says they will have a patch out shortly, the sooner the better because I don’t want to go too long without the ability to sync 🙂
Aside from the iPod sync issue the only upgrade I had to purchase for my PC was a new version of Nero. I held off on doing that when Nero 7.0 came out because Nero 6 worked fine for me and wasn’t bloated. Alas it isn’t compatible with Vista so I needed to pony up $50 for the upgrade. After the upgrade it’s been working fine for me — I even forgot I was transcoding a video when I launched WoW the first time, I couldn’t notice any performance hits.
For the next few weeks I’ll throw my every day tasks at it and see how well it handles things before I commit to it. So far, except for the iPod problem, the only other major issue I had was that it seemed like F2 was no longer letting me rename files….it took about 10 hours of fighting this for me to remember that my new keyboard has one of those damned F-Lock buttons that you have to press before the Function keys do what they should. At least this keyboard remembers the setting between reboots, unlike a similar keyboard I used at work for a while. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that everything else goes well.
[Edit: Forgot to finish a sentence]